Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Turkey Chili

Today was the perfect day to make chili - a big football game on tv and frigid temperatures outside. My recipe for chili changes almost every time I make it, but does have some common ingredients. Below is today's version. (amounts are in italics because that's what changes each time) Also, I tend to "eyeball" the measurements. I don't like a lot of beans in my chili, so today's version had a total of about one can between the two types.


Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
5 green onions, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes (with onion and garlic)
1/2 can low sodium black beans
1/2 can chili beans (medium sauce)
12 oz low sodium V8 juice
Emeril's Southwest Seasoning
other spices to taste


Directions:
I am a big fan of "less dishes to do, the better," so I make this in one pan.
  1. Brown ground turkey, adding spices as desired. (I've found that the ground turkey in a tube falls apart more easily, making it perfect for this recipe. I add garlic at this point - because I add garlic to basically everything.) Drain meat, if needed.
  2. Add green onions, tomatoes, and beans. Stir, cooking for a little bit, letting everything get incorporated.
  3. Add juice and Emeril's Seasoning (to taste), stir. 
  4. Simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally. (Today I let it cook until the game was over - about an hour and a half.)
  5. Serve with condiments you like. (for me: light sour cream and cheddar cheese, today: beer bread on the side.)
Rating: I tweak the recipe every time, but it's always tasty!
Warming Up: always warms up nicely.

1 comment:

  1. Nice recipe! A fine day for chili, and yours sounds great. Make it for me sometime, please.

    ReplyDelete