Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Greek Yogurt! YUM!

So, I need to take a second and share my new favorite "go to" food - Greek yogurt!

A couple co-workers of mine have been eating it since last school year, but I hadn't tried it until recently. During a weekend away at a bed & breakfast, the innkeeper served a peach Greek yogurt with granola and since then I've been hooked! (I've only had the Chobani brand.) And, like at the B&B, I always add granola to give it a little something extra. I've tried strawberry banana, honey, and peach, and they've all been very tasty.

This type of yogurt is a little more pricey than the "normal" type (I haven't seen it for less than $1 per container.), but it's a pretty decent sized portion and is low in fat. The Chobani brand has the fat grams in large, colored print on the lid and container, and the types I've purchased are 0 or 2 grams per container.

Another great thing about Greek yogurt is that you can use it for a substitute for some of the more fattening parts of a recipe. I have read that it can be used in place of sour cream, but there are also suggestions for using it in place of mayo and butter. Just be sure you do some research before using it in a recipe.

So, next time you're at the grocery store, think about picking up a container of Greek yogurt! :)
-and I suggest some granola to go with it-

1 comment: