3/4 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs - cut into 3/4 inch chunks
3 large carrots - sliced
1/2 lb red potatoes - scrubbed and diced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 can seasoned chicken broth with vegetables and herbs (14.5 oz)
1 1/2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 c frozen pearl onions - thawed
1 cup frozen peas - thawed
1 c low-fat buttermilk baking mix
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
5 Tbsp fat-free milk
- Combine chicken, carrots, potatoes, salt and pepper in a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Pour in broth. Press chicken mixture down into broth. Cover and cook until chicken and vegetables are fork-tender - 3-4 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low.
- About 50 minutes before cooking time is up, whisk water and cornstarch in small bowl until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture, onions, and peas into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until mixture simmers and thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine baking mix and dill in medium bowl. Stir in milk just until soft dough forms.
- Drop dough by rounded 2 tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew, making 4 dumplings. Cover and cook until toothpick inserted into center of dumpling comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Recipe makes 4 servings.
Rating: good stuff!
Warming Up: just as good as the first night
- I originally made this recipe after Thanksgiving - it was a great way to use leftover turkey (white meat).
- I used carrots and onions I had frozen.
- I omitted the peas because I don't care for them.
- Instead of dill, I used diced garlic in the dumplings.