A few weeks ago I went to PF Chang's with my brother and his wife. When we were there we had some delicious lettuce wraps. On the way home I thought, "I could make tacos the same way." Tonight was the night I did.
reduced fat cheddar cheese
lettuce (I used green leaf)
- Brown ground meat. Add sliced green onions. Cook until onions are semi-soft.
- Follow directions on taco seasoning.
- Wash lettuce leaf and pat dry.
- Top with meat mixture, cheese, and any other taco toppings you like.
- Wrap lettuce around inside ingredients before eating.
Rating: pretty good, just have to get your brain around the fact that there's no shell
Warming Up: just warm up the meat like you would a normal taco...should warm up fine.
- I feel that this recipe has a lot going for it:
- It's healthier than the normal alternative, and if you don't like it the first night you still have everything you need for a nice taco salad.
- The lettuce leaves seem to fit less meat and filling than a taco shell (well, I suppose that depends on the lettuce you use), so there's more calories saved.
- Lettuce tacos are a little messier than normal ones, so maybe you'll eat less because you won't want to get too messy.
- Also, since you're saving some fat, calories, carbs, etc., there's room for dessert. :)
- Next time I'll probably pair it with Apple Straws - one of my new favorite snacks. (I feel a future blog entry coming on...)