Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lettuce Tacos


A few weeks ago I went to PF Chang's with my brother and his wife. When we were there we had some delicious lettuce wraps. On the way home I thought, "I could make tacos the same way." Tonight was the night I did.

Ingredients:
ground turkey
taco seasoning
green onions
reduced fat cheddar cheese
lettuce (I used green leaf)
---------------
salsa
avocado

Directions:
  1. Brown ground meat. Add sliced green onions. Cook until onions are semi-soft.
  2. Follow directions on taco seasoning.
  3. Wash lettuce leaf and pat dry.
  4. Top with meat mixture, cheese, and any other taco toppings you like.
  5. Wrap lettuce around inside ingredients before eating.

Rating: pretty good, just have to get your brain around the fact that there's no shell
Warming Up: just warm up the meat like you would a normal taco...should warm up fine.
Notes:
  • I feel that this recipe has a lot going for it:
    • It's healthier than the normal alternative, and if you don't like it the first night you still have everything you need for a nice taco salad.
    • The lettuce leaves seem to fit less meat and filling than a taco shell (well, I suppose that depends on the lettuce you use), so there's more calories saved.
    • Lettuce tacos are a little messier than normal ones, so maybe you'll eat less because you won't want to get too messy.
    • Also, since you're saving some fat, calories, carbs, etc., there's room for dessert. :)
  • Next time I'll probably pair it with Apple Straws - one of my new favorite snacks. (I feel a future blog entry coming on...)
WW PointsPlus*: the only points here are the cheese and meat mixture so it depends on how you make it and what additional toppings you use.

No comments:

Post a Comment